Saturday, June 7, 2008

Heat Wave on the Horizon

Sitting here in front of the boathouse (It's 6:09 AM) on a foggy morning everyone seems just a little groggy as this is our third morning in a row. The athletes working reunion have very varied schedules and we've adjusted the schedule to accommodate that.

The temperatures in Hartford are now predicted to go up almost 30 degrees over the next eight hours so we're going to try and avoid midday rows as much as possible. Maybe we're leaving for England just soon enough.

The last three practices have been...interesting. Thursday afternoon we got back in our boats that had just returned from California and had a pretty smashing row...maybe the best impulse and run I've seen.

Friday morning we got together and did a long distance continuous row that also showed improvement but the mental aspect of that type of row became apparent through the middle when the concentration got a little ragged. We rowed again at midday (again, because of reunions) and did some aggressive start work and I was well-pleased with the push.

This morning...I told the story of my math teacher Mr. Procunier...a challenging teacher if I ever had one and only now am I learning the lessons he taught! It's 10 years since I graduated from high school and I hope I'll get the chance to tell him that as I know he was battling prostate cancer. The zen proverb of "when the student is ready the teacher will come" still holds true today!

Workout: Distance with bursts followed by an aggressive post-row.