Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve - Hill Running

Can you find meaning in both of these?

I was speaking to a friend of mine yesterday about the difference between her undergraduate career and her time now at business school. What she said really struck a chord with me and might mean something to some of you who are applying to college or who are an undergraduate right now. She said "The academics during my undergraduate years were simply because I was supposed to have a college experience - the classes I'm taking for business school right now are for me - I really want to learn something from them." Her emphasis on learn dovetailed with how business school demanded an introspective effort to articulate WHY the two year's of study would be important to her future.

I think back to the 36 credits I took in college to graduate and how many universities and colleges have the same requirement - how many of them did I actually become passionate about and try to extract every last bit of knowledge from the material and professor? Conversely, how many of them seemed to just put up a barrier to getting an 'A' or was an inconvenience before doing something I really loved?

I'd like to think that we will continue to recruit and develop scholar-athletes who love the feeling of becoming stronger, more able, more knowledgeable, and passionate about rowing - who don't see training as something to "get through" or drudgery to be endured before we get to racing. So in the spirit of giving, I hope you give yourself a chance to see the training you're doing as for you regardless of what it is.

On the training side, another Premier workout (but only had 1 hour before closing) - 10 down of bench press / overhead squats / burpees with 20' of either 40" on/20" off on the treadmill or 30" on / 30" off. Highest elevation & tolerable speed. Treadmills get tippy when they're set all the way up!
Merry Christmas everyone.