Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bulldog Rowing Camp Day Three

This may have been the most pleasant day that we've had at Bulldog in quite a while. Low temperatures, blue skies, and a low UV index made it really comfortable on the water. Coach Shofner and I switched crews this morning and we were able to work on trying to feel the speed of the boat as a group - that moment when rowers in an eight take a great stroke and really propel the boat well and also KNOW that they've done it well is pretty amazing. In the afternoon row we went with mixed lineups and did some competitive work that gave the campers a taste of side-by-side aggression.

It's funny to say it but I miss the focus of the squad already - the attention to detail, focus on the task at hand, and drive to succeed can be pretty alluring and it has been good to hear from so many rowers already this season.

After so much bike riding in England and brutal gas prices I'm also looking into buying a touring/city bike for the first time since 2000 (haven't owned one since I crashed). The commute from my apartment to the office is only about 2.2 miles so that should be pretty darn quick on a bike. I've been pointed towards this bike by Felt. If anybody has any other suggestions for a bike that can also be used for reasonable weekend rides of a little over an hour please let me know.

On to Friday!